It’s easy to throw together a full meal in a pot. Take a few ingredients, add some spices and throw it all on the stove and voila! Okay maybe it’s not that easy but we’ve been cooking up a lot of 1 pot (or pan) meals lately and today decided to post two sides that were popular in the HDD’s house (meaning: We ate it all). The first is a wintery coleslaw that we came across at this website, when looking for a recipe for the Spanish radish we picked up at the farmer’s market. Unfortunately when Tara went to use the radish she realized it had “matured” beyond its use. However with a few changes the coleslaw was delish! If you think coleslaws are only for the warm months, give this side a try and think again.
The second recipe is originally from the CheapHealthyGood blog. As the website shows this is a wild rice salad but the wild rice (with edamame) was so tasty alone we used it as a side multiple times in lunches.
Hearty Winter Coleslaw
- 2 carrots
- 1 turnip
- 1 small celeriac (the root of the celery)
- 1 head of white cabbage
- 1 head of Chinese cabbage
- 1 small head of radicchio cabbage
Not a whole lot of thought in this part. Here’s a good chance to practice your knife skills. Put the cabbage and veggies mix into a bowl and move onto the dressing.
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Fresh mint / dill / chives
- 2 Tbsp mustard
- Extra virgin olive oil (about 1 Tbsp).
In a medium-sized bowl add fresh juice from squeezed lemon (make sure to remove the seeds!), olive oil, yogurt, mustard and fresh herbs (another good opportunity to practice your knife skills). Mix well and adjust to taste. If you’d like to add salt and pepper for taste this is a good time to do that but we found we didn’t need to add either.
Pour dressing over cabbage / vegetables and mix well.
– Side note: this coleslaw has a lot of opportunity for changes. Over the course of a few days we tried it with cranberries, flax seed and almonds. Something sweet works well with the tangy dressing. Use your imagination and let us know what you come up with!
Wild Rice Spinach Salad with Edamame
Ingredients (the salad):
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice (this is yield about 2ish cups of cooked rice)
- 1 – 2 carrots (the more the merrier)
- 1 1/2 cups edamame (shelled) – thawed if frozen
- Fresh spinach
Ingredients (the dressing):
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 lemon
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint (finely chopped)
- Salt & Pepper to taste (again we found we didn’t need it)
Easy peasy salad prep:
- Cook the rice and bring to room temperature.
- Practice your knife skills with carrots
- Double check your edamame is thawed
- Mix together
Easy peasy dressing prep:
- Grab a whisk
- Mix fresh squeezed lemon juice (remove any seeds), mint, olive oil.
Pour dressing over rice / edamame / carrot mix.
Serve on a bed of spinach or as a side (both hot and cold work well)
So there you have it. Try both and pick your side. No matter which one you choose there’s one thing for sure…
~ Now that’s good eatin folks!