Meegan belongs to a book club.
(Tara doesn’t but she does love a good book).
Tara also loves any reason to pull out “BabyDoll” and make some delicious snack-y foods for anyone willing to a) open mouth and b) insert food. This past week it was Meegan’s turn to host the book club and instead of going to the store and filling our basket with pre-made foods, we opted to rolling up our sleeves and putting together a very tasty (and colorful) spread. Not everything was of our own making (You just can’t re-create the delicious Terra chip) but everything was put together with health(ier) options in mind.
Below are recipes for Salsa / Guacamole both which take about 5 minutes and are going to be a hit anywhere you bring them. These are just the basic recipes and you can add whatever your little heart fancies. Be creative and you’ll be surprised what you can come up with.
We’re also including a slow cooker recipe that calls for a salsa ingredient. See how that all works out…no need to go out and buy salsa (and possibly all the extra ingredients you can do without) when you can just whip up your own deliciousness. The original cumin spiced slow cooked pork recipe can be found over at EverydayPaleo (can you tell we’re a little obsessed with her website) and the only thing we changed was the homemade salsa instead of store bought…
- 4-5 Medium Tomatoes
- 2 Small Cucumbers (we prefer English cucumbers)
- 1/4 (or 1/2 depending on how much you like them) Onion.
- 1 Carrot (peeled)
- Garlic (we used 3 large cloves)
- Hot Pepper (we used hot yellow pepper) – Optional
Here’s the hard part. Are you ready? Are you paying attention?
Cut everything into large chuncks…
Put into food processor and pulse until desired consistency.
Again, don’t be afraid to be creative. We make salsa all the time. Depending on who will be partaking in the snackage of said salsa we might opt to leave out the hot peppers and garlic and add something sweeter like an apple or a few chunks of pineapple. Red, yellow and orange pepper add not only tangy goodness but some beautiful color (and you know we love our color).
- 2-3 Ripe Avocados
- Handful of Grape Tomatoes
- 1 Lime
Oh my how we love avocados.
Food just doesn’t get more perfect than the avocado!
As with the salsa, just scoop out avocado and with the tomatoes put it all in food processor.
Squeeze lime juice on top before pulsing to desired consistency…
- Side note: it’s better to make smaller batches and have to go back and make more (unless you’re going to a party instead of hosting) than having extra sitting around. The avocados can turn a darkish color because of the oxidation (much like an apple after cut). Storing in air tight container will help but homemade guacamole is best made and consumed in short time period.
Cumin Spiced Slow Cooked Pork
- 2 lbs Pork (we used thick cut chops)
- 2 Onions
- 2 Cups Sliced Mushrooms (we used Portobella)
- 1 1/2 Cups Salsa (We used homemade salsa from above)
- 1 1/2 Cups Strained Tomatoes (We used 4 Roma)
- 8 Cloves Garlic (minced or thinly sliced)
- Cumin (to coat pork) + 1 tbsp for sauce
- Salt / Pepper (optional – we didn’t use any)
- 1 tbsp FoC (Fat of Choice)
Use fingers to coat (rub) pork generously with cumin (if you decide to use salt/pepper make sure to use first then cumin). In large skillet heat FoC on medium high heat and sear pork (about 3 minutes per side) until brown.
Once pork is seared, place on bottom of slow cooker and top with sliced onions and mushrooms.
In same skillet take salsa, strained tomatoes, garlic, and tablespoon of cumin and whisk together until becomes “bubbly”.
Pour sauce over pork, mushrooms and onions and cook on low for approximately 7 hours or 5 hours on high.
~Now that’s good eatin’ folks!